- Preparation time = 20 minutes
- Total time = 45 minutes
- Good for = 6 servings
- butter (salted) = 1/2 cup
- vegetable oil = 1/4 cup
- Spanish onion (finely chopped) = 8 cups
- thyme (fresh) = 2 sprigs
- granulated sugar = 2 tablespoons
- vegetable broth (sodium-reduced or less salty) = 4 cups
- 35 percent whipping cream = 1 cup
- salt = a pinch
- pepper = a pinch
- Mushroom Gremolata = readily prepared
- Shallot Confit = readily prepared
- Melt the butter together with oil in a large saucepan at a medium-to-high heat.
- Cook the onions and thyme while stirring them for 12 to 15 minutes until the onions are golden and tender.
- Add sugar and cook it while stirring occasionally for 2 minutes until the onions are caramelized.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and wait for the mixture to boil.
- Afterward, reduce the heat and cover the mixture for 10 minutes.
- After that, discard thyme.
- Blend the mixture in a blender until becomes smooth.
- Stir it consistently until it becomes creamy. Season it with pepper and salt.
- You can serve the cream with Shallot Confit and Mushroom Gremolata.